This creamy one pot chicken lemon rice soup is packed with spinach, tender chicken, and perfectly cooked Texmati rice. It’s a quick and healthy soup recipe the whole family will love.
This post is sponsored by RiceSelect. As always, all opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands I love.
- Why we love this soup
- Ingredients for this Recipe
- Step By Step Instructions To Make This Recipe
- FAQs and Expert tips
- Additional recipes to try
This creamy one pot chicken lemon rice soup is like a warm hug in a bowl! It’s dairy-free, and made with deliciously simple ingredients. RiceSelect’s Texmati Rice brings a beautifully nutty flavor to this filling and flavorful soup, perfect for cold winter nights! Texmati rice is made from an agricultural hybridization of long-grain white rice and Basmati rice. It’s the perfect addition to this soup.
Why we love this soup
My recipe for creamy chicken lemon rice soup is made without dairy! Instead, its creamy texture is created by blending egg yolks with lemon juice and hot broth, tempering the eggs, and making each bite silky smooth! It’s also packed with spinach and mushrooms, which provide tons of nutrients like Calcium, Iron, and Vitamin D, just to name a few! This soup recipe is one you’ll feel great about serving your family! RiceSelect Texmati Rice is gluten Free, organic and, Non-GMO Project Verified! The quality of RiceSelect Texmati Rice is so amazing, even Chefs like Ina Garten have it as a pantry staple!
Ingredients for this Recipe
- Chicken Broth – homemade or store bought is fine! I choose chicken broth with low sodium.
- Chicken breasts – For this recipe, you’ll need around a pound of boneless skinless chicken breast. This chicken lemon rice soup is also an excellent way to use up leftover rotisserie chicken if you’ve got it!
- Lemons – we’re using the zest and the juice from the lemon for this soup recipe, so buy a couple fresh lemons!
- Mushrooms – I used baby Portabellas, but white button mushrooms would work too
- Bay Leaf – helps build depth in flavor to this soup
- Garlic – measure it with your heart
- Sweet Onion – if you don’t have any shallots at home, a sweet onion would work too
- Spinach- This ingredient is optional, but fresh spinach is easy to add in after the soup has simmered. Mix in until the spinach has wilted. It adds extra nutrients and a fresh pop of green!
Step By Step Instructions To Make This Recipe
Saute the onion and mushrooms
Start by heating olive oil in a large stock pot or Dutch oven, and add saute onions until they’re translucent. Add mushrooms and saute for another 3-4 minutes before adding garlic. Stir and continue to cook for 1 more minute.
Add the broth, rice and seasoning
Next add the chicken broth and bay leaves, and bring the soup to a rolling boil. Then add the rice. Stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
Lower the heat and simmer
Then add broth and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, then add the rice. Season with kosher salt and pepper. Lower heat to simmering and let cook for 20 minutes.
Temper the eggs
Once soup has cooked, place eggs and lemon juice in a blender and quickly blend to combine. Then while the blender is running, stream in 1 cup of the hot soup with rice and blend for 30 seconds. Remove the stock pot from the heat and pour the blender contents into the soup, stirring constantly.
Finally, stir in chicken and spinach and mix until spinach has wilted.
Click here to check out the short web story for this recipe!
FAQs and Expert tips
Make sure to temper the sauce. To make this creamy chicken lemon rice soup, you’ll need to temper the eggs. You can do this by either whisking the eggs with ½ cup of lemon juice, and while whisking with one hand, pour in two ladles of the hot chicken broth from your soup. To make it a little easier, I combine the eggs and lemon juice in a blender and slowly stream in the hot broth.
When you’re shredding the chicken breasts, do it while they’re hot! It makes shredding so much easier. Another tip? Use a hand held blender to shred the chicken! It takes just seconds to do!
Additional recipes to try
- Looking for another hearty soup? This broccoli chicken and cheddar soup is filling and delicious!
- Need a crowd pleasing entree salad? Try my grilled peach and steak salad!
- Need another excuse to use RiceSelect Texmati Rice? Try it with my Instant Pot Feijoada!
- Vegetarians in the family? Try my roasted tomato soup!
Thanks for reading! If you make this recipe please come back and let me know how you like it by leaving a star rating and review.
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 small yellow onion, minced
8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
8 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 bay leaves
1 cup rice
Salt and pepper
2 cooked boneless chicken breast pieces, shredded ( about 6 to 8 oz store-bought rotisserie chicken will work)
½ cup freshly-squeezed lemon juice, plus zest of one lemon
2 large eggs
8 oz spinach, optional
1. Heat olive oil in a large stock pot or Dutch oven. Add onions and until they’re translucent.
2. Add mushrooms and saute for another 3-4 minutes before adding garlic. Stir and continue to cook for 1 more minute.
3. Add broth and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, then add the rice. Season with kosher salt and pepper. Lower heat to simmering and let cook for 20 minutes.
4. Place eggs, lemon juice and zest in a blender and quickly blend to combine.
5. While the blender is running, stream in 1 cup of the hot soup with rice and blend for 30 seconds.
6. Remove the stock pot from the heat and pour the blender contents into the soup, stirring constantly.
7. Finally, stir in chicken and spinach and mix until spinach has wilted. Serve in bowls.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 138
- Sugar: 1.9
- Sodium: 248.1
- Fat: 4.9
- Saturated Fat: 1.2
- Unsaturated Fat: 3.2
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 12.9
- Fiber: 1.6
- Protein: 12.8
- Cholesterol: 53.9
Keywords: soup; chicken; rice