Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup is the perfect recipe for nights when you need a quick meal! In less than 30 minutes, you can have dinner on the table!
Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup is the quickest way to satisfy hearty soup cravings. Perfect for cold nights after you get home from work!
This is a simple soup with just a few ingredients. As far as soups go, I’ve discovered the simpler the better! All you need is a few great spices, some broth and chicken breast! The instant pot does all the work for you!
How do I make instant pot chicken tortilla soup?
This is one of my favorite soups to make because it’s basically a dump-and-go recipe. You’ll layer the ingredients in your Instant Pot and press go! It’s that easy! Because it’s so simple, it’s perfect for the kids to join in on the fun, too!
- Add all the ingredients to the Instant Pot, starting with the chicken. Place two chicken breasts in the bottom of the pot, adding the chopped tomatoes right on top. I love using Mutti Tomatoes in this soup. Right on top of the chicken, add a can of their finely chopped tomatoes and two tablespoons of their double concentrated tomato paste!
- Next, you’ll add garlic, jalapeno (this is optional) and spices.
- Add the chicken stock right on top, and stir to incorporate all the spices.
- Finally, add the corn and beans on top, and do not mix.
- When 8 minutes is up, let the steam release naturally for about 10 minutes, open and remove the chicken from the pot.
- Shred the chicken with a fork and add back to the soup and mix to combine.
- Serve your chicken tortilla soup and garnish with toppings of your choice.
Can I freeze Instant Pot chicken tortilla soup?
This soup is perfect for freezing! In order to freeze for later, allow the soup to cool, then freeze it in a large freezer bag or airtight plastic container, leaving out the tortilla strips. If you freeze the soup in a microwave-safe plastic container, you can use the thaw setting on your microwave to thaw it. Otherwise, let it thaw in your fridge overnight and pour into a microwave-safe bowl when ready to eat, or heat on the stovetop. If you store the instant pot chicken tortilla soup properly, it will be best used up to 4 to 6 months but will remain safe beyond that.
What can I garnish my soup with?
Besides the obvious tortilla strips, there are multiple toppings you can pile on to a big bowl of Instant pot chicken tortilla soup. Add one, or all of these to your bowl:
- Cheddar or Mexican cheese blend: a favorite at the Dinner Fairy household
- Fresh Cilantro: If you’re like me and love cilantro, it’s the ultimate topping for this soup. I actually throw some in at the end when I’m mixing in the chicken.
- Avocado: Avocado is always a good choice when topping any Mexican flavored dish.
- Sour Cream: I love adding a big dollop of sour cream and mixing it in to make this soup a little creamier when I’m in the mood.
- Cheezits: I love topping my red hot chili with Cheezits and this would be just as delicious!
- Jalapenos: if you like it super spicy, or omitted the chilis from earlier because of the kids, add these in at the end!
Can I make this in a Crockpot or stovetop?
This soup can easily be made in a slow cooker, crockpot, or on the stovetop if you don’t have an Instant Pot!
Instructions for the slow cooker: Cook the garlic and jalapeño in olive oil at the bottom of the slow cooker first before adding the rest of the ingredients. Cook on high for 4 hours.
Instructions for the stovetop: In a large pot over medium-high heat, add a bit of olive oil then add the jalapeño, and garlic. Sprinkle the spices on top then cook until slightly softened. Add the rest of the ingredients and bring the soup to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cover, let cook for 20 minutes.
What should I serve with this soup?
Pair this hearty soup with some rosemary honey cornbread muffins
Make it a feast with my colorful Mexican pasta salad!
Thirsty for an adult beverage! Try these strawberry lime margaritas!
Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: Soup
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Mexican
4 cups chicken stock
14 oz diced tomatoes
2 tbl tomato paste
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp oregano
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 jalapeño, diced
2 tsp Chili powder
1 lb chicken breasts
14 oz black beans, drained and rinsed
12 oz sweet corn, drained
Add all ingredients to the Instant Pot insert starting with chicken stock and add beans and corn last. Don’t mix.
Cover your Instant Pot and set the valve to the sealing position.
Select the manual or pressure cook button, select high pressure and set the timer to 8 mins.
When done let the steam release naturally for 10 minutes, open and remove the chicken from the pot.
Shred chicken with a fork and add back in to the soup and mix.
Serve your chicken tortilla soup with topping of your choice.
Want to pin this for later? Click on the image below!