Today is the first day of Spring. Remember in February when it was 60 degrees? Well it’s back down to 34 degrees today, so I’m inside with the heat on pretending it’s summer. That brief couple days of springtime weather really got me longing for patio hangs, grilling on the BBQ, and all the fresh foods. I can’t wait to build a big pergola out back so that we can have a little shade on our deck and put some bags in the back yard for a little corn hole. Raise your hand if you’re with me!
I remember growing up my mom would make us the most delicious BLT sandwiches in the summer. There wasn’t anything special about them, it was just the smokiness of the bacon paired with fresh tomato and a crispy crunch from some iceberg lettuce. It was the perfect combo, and hit the spot on a hot summer day. We would devour them and run right back outside to play.
Simek’s is a female owned, mission based brand based in Minnesota and they make the MOST delicious meatballs. They’re free from preservatives, artificial colors and flavors, AND for every product purchased, a meal is donated to the local Feeding America® food bank serving your local community. I’m not sure about you, but this is a mission I can get on board with!
Today I’m teaming up with Simek’s and revisiting my childhood summers with a candied BLT skewer. These little party bites are perfect for your next BBQ!
This post is sponsored by Simek’s, but as always, options are my own.
Candied BLT Skewers
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 35
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 36 skewers 1x
36 Simek’s classic meatballs
1 lb bacon, cut in half (my package had 18 slices so I had 36 half-slices of bacon)
1 cup brown sugar
36 grape tomatoes
Iceberg lettuce, cut into cubes
1/2 cup mayonnaise.
2 tablespoons French dressing.
4 teaspoons sweet pickle relish.
1 tablespoon finely minced white onion.
1 teaspoon white vinegar.
1 teaspoon sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Put brown sugar in a small bowl.
- Spray a broiler pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cut a pound of bacon strips in half and wrap them around Simek’s meatballs (I thawed mine a bit so I could insert the skewer) securing the bacon in place with a toothpick.
- Dredge the bacon wrapped meatballs in the sugar, pressing to coat it well.
- Place them on the greased broiler pan and bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes, depending on how you like your bacon. I like mine crispy, so I baked them for 35 minutes.
- Let the meatballs cool until you’re able to handle them, then assemble the rest of the skewer, placing a grape tomato then a stack of iceberg lettuce.
- Combine the ingredients for your special dipping sauce and stir until they’re blended. Serve on the side of your skewers
This looks fantastic! I have fond memories of BLTs as a kid as well. I remember once when I was about 4 years old, my mother set everything on the table and was finishing up…and I ate all of the tomatoes before my dad and her actually got to the table 😉
Oh, WOW! What a fantastic (and easy!) appetizer. That sauce looks super tasty. These will be a hit for sure!
How clever to create an appetizer version of everyone’s favourite burger! I am going to bookmark this one for my upcoming Easter Brunch!
Such a fun and easy idea!
Everything about these skewers sounds awesome. Pinned for later.
Candied Bacon?!? YUM! What a fun way to reinvent the BLT. Perfect for spring and summer picnic parties!
“Thanks-a-mundo for the blog.Thanks Again. Keep writing.”
“A round of applause for your blog. Really Cool.”