Sweet corn, mascarpone cheese, basil, and arborio rice all come together in this creamy Instant Pot Sweet Corn Risotto to create a filling dish that will have you dreaming of more! This is a meal designed to impress!
When is peak sweet corn season?
Although corn in this Instant Pot sweet corn risotto is grown year-round in the United States, the peak season lasts from May through September. Unlike other field corn varieties, which are harvested when the kernels are dry and mature, sweet corn is picked when immature and prepared and eaten as a vegetable, rather than a feed grain.
What do you need to make risotto?
Most of these ingredients you need to make this sweet corn risotto are ones you probably already have in your pantry! You need:
- Shallots or Sweet onion
- Medium grain or arborio rice
- Dry white wine
- Chicken broth
- Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
Why should I make risotto in the Instant Pot?
Traditional risotto typically requires at least 30 minutes of standing at the stovetop stirring constantly! As a busy mom of a toddler, this dinner plan is pretty unrealistic. The Instant Pot cuts your time in half and allows you to run after your little one while dinner is made for you!
What kind of rice do you use for risotto?
There are many different varieties of rice out there, so you may be asking yourself which one should I use for this sweet corn risotto? For most risottos, you want to use only Italian short-grain rice varieties such as Aroborio, Carnaroli, Vialone, Nano, and Baldo. Arborio is the most commonly found short-grain rice. Short-grain rice has a high starch content and tends to absorb less liquid, resulting in a stickier, creamier risotto.
Tips for making the best sweet corn risotto
- Use fresh corn from the cobb if possible, and throw it on the grill! Summer sweet corn is unmatched! If you can’t find fresh sweet corn, use the can rather than frozen. If you want to know how to grill corn, click here
- Use fresh basil. This is available year round at our grocery stores. Gotham Greens in Chicago is my favorite!
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese! The pre-grated stuff will never compare to freshly grated off the block. Every great risotto recipe needs it!
- Add the Mascarpone cheese at the end. Fat will break under heat and it will ruin your risotto. When the rice is finished, stir the Mascarpone cheese in to give the risotto a light, silky texture.
Have any questions? Watch my step by step process below!
What should I serve with risotto?
This filling dish would pair great with:
Seared sea scallops
Instant Pot Sweet Corn Risotto
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Italian
2 tablespoons butter
1 tbl olive oil
1/2 cup finely chopped shallots or white onions
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/3 cups medium-grain rice or arborio rice
1 cup dry vermouth or dry white wine, divided
3 cups chicken broth
5 ounces fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, divided plus more for garnish
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 cups corn, or corn from 5 ears of corn
1/2 cup basil, chopped plus more for garnish
2 tbl mascarpone cheese
1. In saute mode on your Instant Pot, add butter and olive oil. When the butter has melted, add shallots. Saute the shallots until they have become translucent. Add garlic and saute until the garlic becomes fragrant.
2. Add rice, stir and cook for about 1 minute.
3. Add white wine and stir until all of the wine has been absorbed.
4. Add the chicken broth and 1 ounce of Parmesan cheese and salt, stir in the cheese and salt into the liquid. Place the lid on the pressure cooker.
5. Cook for 7 minutes on high in manual mode. Once the rice has finished cooking, let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes.
6. Remove the lid and stir in the remaining cheese, grilled corn and basil. Add the mascarpone and stir until fully incorporated.
7. Plate and garnish with additional parmesan cheese and fresh basil.
Keywords: instant pot; risotto; corn