Taco Tuesday got a little healthier with these portobello mushroom tacos ! They’re a low calorie, hearty meal that’s SO easy to whip up!
If you’ve been following me for a while, you know that we love Taco Tuesday at the Windy City Dinner Fairy household. I make Mexican food at least twice a week, not only because it’s so delicious, but it’s SO easy to throw a few ingredients together for a quick and delicious dinner!
Unfortunately a lot of Mexican food is smothered in cheese and sour cream, so we’re going a little more healthy today and making these best ever portobello mushroom tacos with a chipotle kick!
Did you know that mushrooms are actually really good for you?
So a couple reason why are mushrooms so good for your health:
- Mushrooms are a superfood, and one of the most health-promoting foods on the planet. Approximately 50% of edible mushrooms are considered functional foods, meaning that they have a potentially positive effect on health beyond basic nutrition.
- They provide immune system support. They’re a very good source of zinc, which is needed for the proper growth and maintenance of the human body. It’s essential for wound healing, blood clotting, thyroid function, and so much more.
- They’re filled with antioxidants, which will help you live a longer, healthier life. A diet rich in antioxidants protects cells from free radicals, helping the body cope with the normal oxidative stress that damages healthy cells.
The biggest benefit of eating mushrooms, is that they fight cancer! These portobello Mushrooms tacos contain a class of proteins called lectins, which are able to bind to abnormal cells and cancer cells and label the cells for destruction by our immune system.
So now that you know all these mushroom facts, you can feel so much better about taco Tuesday! I topped these babies with lots of other goodies. We’re talking creamy avocado slices, red radishes, and beautiful microgreens. You can’t go wrong with all these gorgeous ingredients, right?
Serve these little portobello mushroom tacos with a side of salsa, a drizzle of sour cream, and a nice margarita, and you’ve got the perfect meal!
If you loved this recipe, be sure to check out my healthier chicken enchiladas!Print
The Best Mushroom Tacos
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 pound baby portabello mushrooms, cleaned, stems trimmed, and sliced
- Salt to taste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 canned chipotle chile in adobo, seeded and chopped (more to taste)
- 2 tablespoons minced cilantro
- 8 corn tortillas
- 2 to 3 ounces queso fresco or ranchero, or feta, crumbled
- Radishes, sliced thin
- Salsa (optional)
- Red Rambo Radish microgreens
- Avocado, sliced
- Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat and add the onion. Cook, stirring often, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and turn the heat up to medium-high. Cook, stirring, until the mushrooms soften and begin to sweat. Turn the heat back to medium and add 1/2 teaspoon salt, the garlic and the chipotle. Continue to cook until the mushroom liquid has evaporated from the pan, 5 to 10 minutes. Stir in the cilantro or parsley, taste and adjust seasonings.
- Heat the tortillas, 2 or 3 at a time, in a dry skillet over medium-high heat, or in a microwave. Top each one with a spoonful of mushrooms and onions, microgreens, top with avocado and radish slices.
- Serve with salsa and sour cream if desired
Want to pin this for later? Click on the image below!
Perfect timing for your post. A friend just last week asked about the nutrition profile of mushrooms and I didn’t know how to answer. Thanks for all the info!
These gorgeous tacos remind me of when my husband first started dating. He had mushroom tacos almost every night when we’d chat on the phone and I’d ask about his dinner. I’m sure his didn’t look this beautiful, though. Yum!