Are you craving comfort food? This creamy, spicy chicken corn chowder is the going to hit the spot!
I’m pretty sure I could make this recipe about 1,000 times and never get tired of it. It’s like a giant hug in a bowl, so creamy and filling! The sweetness of the corn and heat of the chili pepper are perfect compliments and create yummy chemistry in your Crockpot.
What is the difference between soup and chowder?
Bisques and chowders both types of thick soup; bisque is generally smooth while chowder is chunky.
How do you thicken your chicken corn chowder?
What ingredients are in corn chowder?
A couple tips to make this chowder THAT much tastier? Melt a little butter and brown the chicken before adding to your slow cooker. Even though you are going to shred it later, that caramelization gives the chicken great flavor and texture that makes the soup that much more delicious.
When I garnished the soup, I used some homemade croutons, slices of red chili peppers and some fried proscuitto. I had some microgreens left over from my portobello mushroom tacos that I placed on top, and lastly, I sprinkled paprika and freshly ground pepper on top for some extra texture and color.
Hope your bowls are filled with this yummy soup soon! Happy slow cooking!
If you loved this recipe, be sure to check out my cauliflower cheddar soup!Print
Spicy Chicken Corn Chowder
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 hours
- Total Time: 8 hours 15 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 1 pound chicken, shredded
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 16 oz corn kernels, frozen, canned or fresh
- 4 cups chicken broth 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1 red chili pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup cream
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add bacon and cook until brown and crispy, about 6-8 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate; set aside.
- Place chicken, onion, celery, and corn into a 6-qt slow cooker. Add flour and toss to cover the ingredients in the pot. Slowly stir in chicken broth while whisking to prevent clumps. Add, garlic, thyme, oregano, cayenne pepper and bay leaf; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 7-8 hours or high heat for 3-4 hours.
- In a small bowl, whisk together half and half and cornstarch. Stir in half and half mixture and butter during the last 30 minutes of cooking time.
- Serve immediately, topped with bacon, sliced chili peppers, and garnished with chives, if desired.
Want to pin this for later? Click on the image below!