These brown butter toffee chocolate chunk cookies are chewy, chocolatey and SO flavorful! A decadent treat for any chocolate lover!
Fall is around the corner I’m getting so excited for baking season! Having kids makes the holidays so much more fun, and I’ve been having a blast playing in the kitchen with baby dinner fairy. My chewy chocolate chip cookies have been such a hit here, I wanted to put a crunchy twist on them! The addition of brown butter brings an incredible nutty flavor to these chewy cookies, and the toffee a perfect amount of crunch!
What do you need for these cookies?
Brown butter – this brings an incredible nuttiness to these brown butter toffee and chocolate chunk cookies
White and brown sugars – the combination creates a chewy cookie with crispy edges that is unmatched!
Flour, vanilla, baking soda and salt
Chocolate chunks – use high quality chocolate for the most delicious cookie!
Silpat or parchment paper
What is brown butter?
Brown butter is just butter that has been cooked just long enough to toast the milk solids in the butter. You simply cook the butter just a little bit past the melting point. By doing this, the butter develops an amazing nutty flavor that you’ll never get with regular melted butter. It takes just ten minutes to make, and it’s a baking game changer!
How do you make brown butter?
- First cut the butter into pieces so it cooks evenly. Bring the butter to room temperature for about 20 minutes prior to melting, so that it doesn’t splatter or burn easily in the pan.
- Next, place the butter in a sauce pan with a light bottom. When making brown butter, you need to watch the color carefully, so using a pan with a dark bottom may lead to burning the butter.
- Once the butter starts to melt, stir it constantly as it begins to foam and sizzle.
- Continue to stir until the butter starts to change color from yellow to golden.
- The milk solids at the bottom of the pan will start to toast and turn brown, and you’ll smell an intense nutty flavor.
- Immediately remove the butter from the saucepan and place in a heatproof dish.
- Set butter in the fridge until solid.
What should I serve with these cookies?
Need a beverage with your dessert? Pair these brown butter toffee and chocolate chunk cookies with
Click here to check out the short web story for this recipe!
You can also FOLLOW ME on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, and FACEBOOK for more great recipes!Print
Brown Butter Toffee + Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 13 minutes
- Total Time: 2 hours 23 minutes
- Yield: 24 cookies 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
1 cup + 2 tablespons unsalted butter, room temperature
2 cups brown sugar
2 tbl white sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
3 cups flour
1 1/2 cups chocolate chunks
1/2 cup Heath Bars, chopped
Cut butter into pieces and place in sauce pan over low heat. As butter melts, stir constantly. After 5-7 minutes, the butter will turn golden and then the milk solids will brown.
Once you see it turn brown, immediately turn off the heat and pour butter into a heat-safe bowl and set in the fridge until solid.
Sift dry ingredients together. In a separate bowl, creambrown butter and sugars together. Add both eggs and vanilla and mix to incorporate. Add dry ingredients to the bowl, and mix to incorporate. Add the chopped Heath bar and chocolate chunks and stir to combine.
Let dough chill for 2 hours to overnight.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Using an ice cream scoop with release, scoop out cookie dough and place cookie scoop on a sheet pan lined with parchment or a silpat. Sprinkle with sea salt if desired.
Bake cookies for 11-13 minutes.
Keywords: brown butter; cookies; chocolate
Want to pin this for later? Click on the image below!
My favorite cookies! These are good for every occasion and season!
This is one of the best cookie recipes I’ve tried! They came out perfect. Crisp on the outside, chewy on the inside, and the browned butter gives such great flavor. Delicious!!
This makes me so happy! Thank you!