These French-Style crepes are the perfect breakfast! Top with chopped apples, cinnamon and brown sugar for an easy, sweet-crepe filling.
There’s nothing like delicious homemade breakfast recipes. Crepes are one of the favorite things to make on Sunday mornings. Pair them with a cup of french press coffee and a couple slices of bacon, and you have the perfect morning! They are so easy to make, they’re sure to become a family favorite of yours, too! The best part? You can fill or top them with whatever your heart desires. I’ve got a wonderful Nutella crepes recipe, you could add roasted strawberries, the filling possibilities are endless! Today we’re filling an easy crepes recipe with sauteed chopped apples, cinnamon and brown sugar for an easy, sweet-crepe filling.
Why we love these apple crepes
This easy crepe recipe is so customizable for every season! You can enjoy them for breakfast or top them with a scoop of ice cream for dessert crepes! They’re perfect for entertaining, too! They’re quick and easy to make ahead, and serve at room temperature for your guests. This breakfast takes less than 30 minutes to make!
To peel or not to peel?
Leaving the skin on apples looks prettier! It also adds texture to the apple filling, and provides lots of nutrients! Apple skin is packed with Vitamin K, A and C!
What you need to make this easy crepe recipe
- Apples. I love tart apples for this recipe, but use your favorite baking apple. These are my favorite baking apples:
- Granny smith apples — These tart apples are a favorite because they’re crisp, and keep their structure after time in the oven.
- Honeycrisp apples — Extra crisp and always holds firm after baking. One of our favorites!
- Pink Lady apples — A good balance of sweet and tart. Will also hold its shape when baked.
- Butter. Browning the butter in the pan slightly before adding the apples will add a bit of a nutty flavor to the apples, and make this delicious apple cinnamon filling that much more decadent.
- Brown Sugar. Not only does it add sweetness to the apple filling, but I love the richness that the molasses in brown sugar adds to this dish.
- Ground Cinnamon. Apples and cinnamon go together like peas and carrots! Cinnamon is also a super spice, and is loaded with antioxidents!
- Ground Nutmeg. Nutmeg and cinnamon pair so well together! Sprinkle a little in for more depth in flavor to the filling.
How do you make crepes at home?
These apple cinnamon crepes are so simple to make! Simply combine flour, eggs, milk and water in a medium bowl until you have a smooth crepe batter. You’ll want the batter to be thin enough to easily cover the bottom of the pan.
Heat a lightly oiled saute or nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. I like to use a pastry brush and brush canola or vegetable oil over the entire pan.
Using a 4-ounce ladle, fill with batter and pour the batter into the frying pan while swirling the pan around. Swirl until the batter has created a thin layer over the entire bottom of the pan. You can see a step by step video on how to make perfect crepes here.
Cook the crepe for about 1 minute, until the bottom is light brown. Flip and cook for another 30 seconds. Remove to a plate and set aside. Repeat this process until all the batter has been used.
Can you make apple cinnamon crepes ahead of time?
These apple cinnamon crepes are a great breakfast you can make ahead of time! These are great served at room temperature, so they’re easy to make ahead, then fill or top right before serving!
How do you make the apple crepe filling?
- Melt butter in a small non-stick skillet on low to medium heat.
- Add apples, stirring occasionally until apples begin to soften, about 4 minutes.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar, vanilla extract and spices and continue to stir until the apples begin to caramelize, which should take another 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
You can use the apple mixture to top the apple crepes, or put them inside like an apple pie filling! Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar if desired!
Other crepe filling ideas:
Ham and cheese
Chicken and Spinach
Mushroom and goat cheese
What should I serve with crepes?
Spinach and red pepper frittata – make a big brunch spread with this frittata stuffed with baby spinach, red peppers, and cheese
Greek Yogurt Breakfast Parfaits – an easy and healthy gluten free breakfast optionPrint
Cinnamon-y and so delicious, these French-style crepes are the perfect breakfast! Top with chopped apples, cinnamon and brown sugar for an easy and sweet crepe filling.
For the crepes:
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup water
For the apple topping:
2 apples, diced (I chose honeycrisp)
2 tbl brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
3 tbl butter
Pinch of nutmeg
In a medium-sized bowl, combine all of the crepe ingredients and mix with a whisk until no lumps remain in the batter.
Heat a small, non-stick pan. Using a small brush, brush a small amount of vegetable oil, enough to lightly cover the bottom of your pan. Pour 1 ounce of batter into the center, while simultaneously swirling the pan to spread evenly. Cook for 30 seconds and flip. Cook for another 15 seconds and put onto a plate and set aside. Repeat until all your batter has been used.
To make the topping/filling:
Melt butter in a small non-stick skillet on low to medium heat. Add apples, stirring occasionally until apples begin to soften (about 4 minutes). Sprinkle with brown sugar and spices and continue to stir until the apples begin to caramelize, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat.
To assemble, you can either fill each crepe with your apples, or fill with jam and top with apples. This time, I had some delicious cinnamon pear preserves that I filled the crepe with, then topped them with the apples. Dust with powdered sugar and serve.
Want to pin this for later? Click on the image below!