I’ve been making steel cut oatmeal for breakfast for my clients for a few years now. Steel cut oats are an excellent source of protein, vitamin B, calcium, soluble and insoluble fiber. Because of the way they are processed, steel cut oats are better for you than the traditional rolled oats. Steel cut oats are dense and chewy as a result of being passed through sharp, steel blades that cut them into thin slices that helps retain more fiber and protein. Because of this it takes longer to digest, making us feel fuller for a longer period of time. Whole grains have been known to reduce cholesterol, high blood pressure and help prevent heart disease, cancer and diabetes. One of the most significant health benefits of Steel-cut oats is that they help eliminate fat and cholesterol from the body.
My favorite way to eat them is to infuse the water you cook the oats in with cinnamon (just add a couple sprinkles to the water before you add the oats). In this recipe, I added some caramelized bananas, some Chixi Chickpea Butter (which tastes just like peanut butter!) for some extra protein and some chocolate chunks for a little sweetness. This little delicious bowl is perfect for cold winter mornings.
What you need:
- 1 cup quick cook steel cut oats
- 4 cups hot water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 3 banana, sliced
- 3 tbl butter
- 3 tbl brown sugar
- chopped chocolate
- 1 tbl Chixi Chickpea Butter
- Bring water and cinnamon to a boil in a deep sauce pan, add steel cut oats and cook covered for 5 minutes on low.
- In a sauté pan over medium heat, add butter and bananas and sauté until slightly softened.
- Add brown sugar and nutmeg to the banana pan.
- Remove oats from heat and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Serve topped sautéed bananas, chopped chocolate and Chixi Chickpea Butter